Monday, February 23, 2009

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I used to think that I just got bummed every winter because I couldn't go to the shore, but Seasonal Affective Disorder really means that something to do with light and weather makes me depressed once the days get shorter. The dr.s (whom I don't trust in the slightest) say that light therapy can help, but I don't really understand how sitting still and staring at a bright light for 1/2 an hour every morning will make me forget that it's cold and I can't go swimming (also, it seems like a giant waste of time, especially in the morning when there's laundry and morning chores to do before work). Also, antidepressants have some nasty side effects that I can do without. So, what do I do to fight off SAD in these last few days of winter? It's a little easier since I'm now in the home stretch but in general I have a few ways to cheer myself up.
-I drive to the shore once or twice during the winter and walk around. Yes, it's cold and windy but it's bright and the ocean is still there along with all of the wildlife. Sometimes the beach is prettier in the winter, especially when it snows.
-I wait for the first gardening and seed catalogs to come to the house (usually in the first week or so of March) and then I plan out the garden, order the seeds/seedlings and daydream about what it will be like to plant once the ground is unfrozen. I also start the seeds in my basement towards the end of March.
-I follow baseball spring training, to a lesser extent. Also on warmer days, dh and I throw the ball around in the street. In early April, we'll start playing wiffleball in the mall/grocery stor parking lot, and in May the church softball league starts.
-I frequently check how long it is until key spring and summer events occur. For example, as of today there are 41 days until 6 Flags opens, 4 months and a few odd days until the Meadowlands fair, and 5 months and a few odd days until the Sussex County Farm and Horse Show.
-I go hiking before the snakes comeout and the bears wake back up! Even if it's a little chilly I don't have to deal with the scariest of wildlife.
-I dig out the summer clothes, start washing and mending them, and put away the heaviest of the winter clothes. This always makes me feel like spring is just around the corner!
Of course, spring is not just around the corner. There is always at least a bit of snow in March, so I'll just have to suck it up. There are a few good things going on this month anyway, like my trip to Las Vegas, St. Patty's Day (which will be bittersweet this year; it would have been my due date with Lilly) and my trip with mom & sister to NYC for a ladies' weekend. Even so, I can't wait to finish up this long winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment